Friday, 6 September 2013

Genres of film

Although all film making is intriguing and interesting to me, I am in particularly fascinated by sci-fi films. Mainly because of all the CGI used within them. For one I find it amazing how an actor can act and react to something that in reality is not there and physically doesn't exist. I also love the fact that the screen writers are able to come up with the crazy ideas that come with sci-fi films. For example, the main focus being on aliens and super humans and just generally out of the ordinary experiences. Although it's great to see a cute rom-com with the classic Katherine Heigl and Channing Tatum character who fall in love and overcome all the obstacles, sometimes it nice to see some physical obstacles being overcome by huge explosions and alien invasions.
Somewhat similar to sci-fi films are disaster films, which i also love and find completely fascinating to not only watch but to see how they are made. For example watching behind the scene footage from 'Twister' with Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton is so amazing just to see how something that in reality looks nothing special and a little like two crazy people throwing theme selves around, turn out to look like an amazing storytelling piece of art.
As a director I am a huge fan of Steven Spielberg and find that all films that he creates are outstanding and are so well made. From films as far back in his career as Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark and E.T to his most recent pieces such as Super 8, War horse and Lincoln.
However I am also blown away by the works of other Directors in complete opposite ways; for example, Judd Apatow who has worked on so many films that I love, focusing more on comedy with titles such as 'Knocked Up', 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall', 'Bridesmaids', 'Wanderlust' and more. I completely appreciate the attention to detail that has to go into films like this purely to make them relate-able and funny to audiences. As we all know comedic timing is so important within films such as these and without directors, producers, writers and of course actors with this inner skill it is near impossible to make a great comedy film.

No comments:

Post a Comment